The world of digital and social media applications is a constantly evolving sector which is challenging to keep up-to-date with. Our digital experts are continually discovering and researching new applications, understanding how they work and how they can obtain evidence from them.
Our Digital Investigators are happy to explain how these applications work and the type of evidence which may be obtainable from such sources, including any identified limitations of this evidence. Our expertise services include:
- Digital Evidence: Digital trends, including the latest digital devices, can be challenging to understand, particularly in relation to digital evidence. Our team will advise on what can and can’t be retrieved from different devices and operating systems and provide advice and guidance on procedures that should be adhered to.
- Online Evidence Review: Our accredited expert Online Investigators can undertake reviews into online investigations which form part of the prosecution’s case. As part of the review, our experts will review the credibility of evidence to ensure it has been verified and research new lines of enquiry.
- Social Media Evidence Review: We can talk you through the latest social media applications, providing an understanding of what data and evidence can be obtained from the latest apps. Our team are constantly identifying and understanding new social media applications and can advise on the limitations of evidence from different apps.
- IP Address Analysis: When analysing the prosecution’s evidence, our team will consider attribution of the online accounts in question, reviewing the IP addresses and usage of the accounts. This can provide a clearer understanding of the account in question and how and where it was used.
- Review Case Credibility: With the credibility of a case, our team can explain the data that Law Enforcement Agencies can obtain and what authorities are needed and can advise on how to know whether this has been strictly followed. We are happy to provide guidance and an overview on what to look out for when considering the credibility of a prosecution case.
Social Media Evidence Review
As social media plays a more significant role in our lives, it is also playing a more important role in investigations. Social media applications are proving more and more to be a source of key evidence and our social media experts are capable of reviewing any evidence submitted by the prosecution in addition to obtaining evidence from other lines of enquiry. Legal professionals can benefit from our expertise in social media, including attributing users, profiles and accounts to an individual.
Our social media experts have experience in recovering evidential information directly from social media applications and can review whether any evidence that the prosecution has obtained has been done so lawfully.
Why should a Social Media Evidence Review be conducted?
Using their expert knowledge, our team undertake reviews of any evidence relating to social media applications. This can uncover any potential weaknesses or limitation in the prosecution’s evidence in attributing the evidence to the defendant. The team examine all lines of enquiry which were taken, as well as undertaking any new lines of enquiry requested by the barrister, or that may have been missed by the prosecution team.
Online Investigation Review
Our team of accredited expert Online Investigators are trained to conduct online investigations and Open-Source Intelligence (OSINT) for surface, deep, and dark web. As a result, they are also capable of reviewing any prosecution evidence from online investigations and OSINT. We can provide a review of the material or conduct our own research using our in-house experts. This includes online information, intelligence and evidence gathering which can be targeted to individuals, companies, groups and much more.
What is involved in an Online Investigation Review?
Our Online Investigators can undertake reviews into online investigations which form part of the prosecution’s case. As part of the review, our experts will review the credibility of evidence to ensure it has been verified. The team can also research new lines of enquiry, including, but not limited to investigating the credibility of a witness or capturing new data which may not have been obtained by the prosecution.
During the review of a case, the Online Investigators will review the credibility of the evidence used by the prosecution, to ensure it has been obtained correctly and that the investigation was sufficiently thorough to confidently attribute the evidence to the defendant.
IP Address Analysis
When an online account has been used as evidence in a case, a question should be raised as to whether the IP address data behind it has been verified or attributed to a defendant. Our experts can review the IP address analysis to verify the online account behind it and highlight any lines of enquiry that need to be pursued.
Has the IP Address Analysis been verified as belonging to the defendant?
Law enforcement often produces a substantial quantity of data in IP Address Analysis, so our team can undertake a review of the credibility of a case to determine if the investigation was conducted sufficiently to verify that the IP Address involved in a crime can be attributed to the defendant.
Considering the attribution of the online accounts in question, reviewing the IP addresses and usage of the accounts is essential when analysing the prosecution’s evidence. This can provide a clearer understanding of the account in question and how and where it was used.
Our experts will review all of the information to determine if there are any new lines of enquiry which can be pursued and this can provide greater context to the events within a case.