Helping Defence Teams Build Stronger Cases
Access complete digital investigation support that can enhance your case or help undermine the prosecution’s. We start by carrying out a defence case review and can identify lines of enquiry that have been missed. You’ll then receive recommendations for specific services, like IP address analysis and social media account investigation.
Strengthening Your Case to Increase CPS Backing
Our team will assess your digital evidence and identify any case enhancements that will help you gain Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) approval to prosecute your case.
Complete Digital Evidence Support
Our expert team carries out the technical, time-consuming assessment work to identify which digital information can be used as evidence. By connecting all the dots hidden in a mountain of digital data, we can call into question or strengthen evidence, helping you effectively build your case within tight timescales.
Case Evidence Review
Our expert team will review the credibility of the digital evidence in your case. We can:
- Test the quality of digital evidence including the way evidence has been obtained to pinpoint case strengths and weaknesses.
- Identify gaps in evidence and alternative avenues for digital exploration that could strengthen your arguments.
- Gather extra evidence to help strengthen your case and present it in a way that will stand up in court.
Available to defence and prosecution teams, this service has the potential to boost your arguments with independent digital expertise aligned to your case strategy.
Social Media Evidence Review
The constantly changing nature of social media platforms makes it difficult for prosecutors to legally access, gather and analyse the data in these systems. Our Digital Investigation Unit constantly builds on its significant expertise to ensure it can:
- Examine all lines of enquiry through social media account investigation.
- Test whether the prosecution’s evidence has been gained lawfully.
- Uncover any weaknesses or limitations in the prosecution’s attribution of the evidence to the defendant.
- Undertake digital media investigations into any new lines of enquiry that may have been missed by the prosecution or as requested by the defence barrister.
- Obtain social media evidence directly from any social media app, including Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, WeChat, Viber and more.
- Authenticate social media evidence including device attribution and screenshots.
- Create high-quality, expert reports – including information about any evidential limitations – to help social media be used as evidence in court.
Support your case with tried and trusted social media expert witness testimony.
IP Address Analysis
Prosecution teams don’t always carry out the necessary checks to make sure digital account evidence can be accurately attributed to a defendant. We use our deep digital know-how to support defence teams by:
- Assessing whether the IP address behind an online account used as evidence can be attributed to the defendant.
- Exposing mis-attributions and opening up new lines of inquiry and fresh context for the defence.
- Carrying out rigorous account use analysis to identify whether or not certain evidence comes from a particular IP address.
- Gaining a clearer understanding of account use, establishing patterns of behaviour and understanding where and how an account was used.
- Identifying account use in a particular area through geolocation.
- Accurately assigning online accounts and their use to the right person.
Providing clearly written, evidenced reports which will stand up in court and digital media expert witness testimony.
Online Evidence Review
Wherever the prosecution sources its evidence – be that the normal every day web or the deep and dark web – our expert online investigators can follow. Trained in Open-Source Intelligence (OSINT) gathering, they will:
- Carry out online information, intelligence and evidence gathering targeted at individuals, companies, groups and more.
- Review the credibility of the prosecution’s evidence to make sure it has been verified and can be confidently attributed to the defendant.
- Research new lines of enquiry, including investigating a witness’ credibility or capturing new data which the prosecution may not have.
Provide an experienced digital investigation expert witness to explain evidence and support your digital evidence in court.
Digital Evidence Consultancy
Keeping up to date with the latest social media platforms and digital technologies and the workarounds criminals use can be challenging. Our team will advise on what can and can’t be retrieved from different devices and operating systems. Giving you independent advice and guidance as well as insight into the procedures that should be followed to ensure digital evidence is as strong as possible